Why do we learn better when we are younger?

YellowDragon

I am sure there is a simple answer to this but it always fascinated me how quickly children can learn and even master things like different languages, instruments, building things, even video games. I struggle myself if I try to learn anything new but kids can just pick things up and give it a little bit of time, practice... and they blow people twice their age out of the water. 

They say that the brain is primed for learning between 6 months and 3 years, that is the time when the brain is most adapted to taking in information and if you maximize this in your child, they will continue to have strong memory, hand to eye coordination, and problem solving skills. It fascinates me and frustrates me because I would love to learn how to draw better or play an instrument but no matter how much I practice, I just can't get better.  

I believe it is down to how children think more than anything. They look at the world and objects differently. Where an adult will attempt to learn something a few times and give up, a child will keep trying to learn the same thing different ways until they find what works for them. The brain is also fresh and able to see smaller details and grasp basic concepts quicker. Like where to put fingers on a piano or how to hold a controller to improve with a video game. 

Edited by Cosmic