Smoking

chrysostom

I started smoking again and it upset a few people. It is a bad habit but somehow G. K. Chesterton can justify it. I had quit many years ago but would still smoke an occasional cigar which is very expensive and takes way too long to smoke so I went back to the pipe hoping I could limit it to once a day and did. It was right after Covid started and I stumbled across an article suggesting that smoking could improve your chances of surviving Covid. Apparently nicotine can prevent your immune system from overreacting which is how Covid was killing most of the people who caught it. Not being able to do anything about being an old male, I decided to address what I could do something about. More vitamin D, less weight, and moderate smoking were the only things that might improve my chances with Covid. Thanks to that and social distancing I did not get sick at all during the first year of Covid and wanted that to be the new norm. My traveling wife brought Covid home twice and I caught it once but only had one bad day with it.  Vitamin D from only eggs and sunshine may have been the most significant factor. This kind of information was definitely being withheld. 

• Like 1

I remember reading years ago that smoking, when not done in excess and using clean tobacco (not chemically treated garbage), offers a level of protection from airborne viruses and even radiation because it forces the lungs to be in a state of cleanse and repair. The issue people seem to face with smoking is smoking too much and not eating a balanced diet. You can enjoy alcohol and not risk the ill effects of it if you take care of yourself and don't over do it. Same with smoking.

If you are going to smoke, it is always a good idea to take vitamin C as that is the one that gets depleted the most with smokers. You need 30-50% more vitamin C as a smoker as it is being used to protect and restore lung tissue. It makes sense when you look into more things on it.

Also, things like nail polish and hairspray are more likely to lead to lung cancer. If smoking is your only bad habit and you avoid other toxins that can be inhaled, your chance of getting lung cancer from it is around 3% for light smokers and 7% for standard smokers. I think menthol scored the worst with 11%. I wish I could remember the studies and groups I read. It is fascinating stuff. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, YellowDragon said:

If you are going to smoke, it is always a good idea to take vitamin C as that is the one that gets depleted the most with smokers.

Did not know that. Thank you.

While it is definitely better if you never start smoking, there is one good thing I can say about it. I only smoke when I am alone in a quiet place and find myself meditating on whatever comes into my mind. Meditation is something everyone should try to do whenever possible and smoking somehow makes it happen. 

• Like 1

Smoking what though? tobacco or weed? I would imagine both has similar effects on the lungs but I am getting my wires crossed. I don't know which one is being discussed here. All forms of smoking is not healthy but I know moderation makes a huge difference, even with unhealthy stuff. You don't want to have too much of anything. Even too much water can kill you. 

• Like 1