Is plane geometry still taught in schools? What about solid geometry? What do two parallel lines have in common? Direction only but they will never meet. Like two people who occupy different positions may never realize they are going in the same direction but you should be able to prove this. That requires order which is predictable. Rules that are reasonable. Arguments that are consistent. Can you prove what is obvious? This is not just an academic exercise. We can't even communicate unless we agree on certain things. Things that are certain. All this is being replaced by chaos forcing us to question everything which is fine if you have something to hang on to. Do you? 

I think the way school systems are set up are outdated and still on the practice of being a pre and post world war generation where they are taught to remember things, be comfortable doing repetitive tasks, and not to ask questions. Critical thinking seems to be punished as well. 

On 6/14/2023 at 6:26 AM, chrysostom said:

You think? Why doesn't it look like school when I was growing up? For sure, I am outdated. 

They have kept the same model in America since WWII. It is designed for kids to be obedient, agreeable, and okay with doing repetitive tasks. It focuses more on remembering things than anything else and I think most things learned past grade 8 are useless in the real world. 

10 hours ago, YellowDragon said:

I think most things learned past grade 8 are useless in the real world

We need to distinguish between what is taught and how it is taught. I am more concerned with what is taught and that has certainly changed. They can't do math, read, or write. How it is taught is not so important but that has also changed. First you teach what is and later why it is that way. When they start to think for themselves, hopefully they will understand the need for rules and order. 

• Like 1

On 6/17/2023 at 5:05 AM, chrysostom said:

We need to distinguish between what is taught and how it is taught. I am more concerned with what is taught and that has certainly changed. They can't do math, read, or write. How it is taught is not so important but that has also changed. First you teach what is and later why it is that way. When they start to think for themselves, hopefully they will understand the need for rules and order. 

I noticed a growing trend among young adults in urban areas not being able to read or write and having issues with basic math. They graduate high school but seemingly are reading at a 4th grade level which is insane. I think the system mixed with bad politics is just turning out a lot of adults that can't think or act for themselves. 

On 6/20/2023 at 12:53 PM, YellowDragon said:

I think the system mixed with bad politics is just turning out a lot of adults that can't think or act for themselves. 

I don't think that is the problem. My son is a liberal and he of course votes for the democrats and I asked him why. He thinks there are many others who did not have the advantages he got and believes the democrats help them.