On Being Old

chrysostom

I think there are different variations of "old" and it is about perception. Being old and being the "oldest" in your social circle almost certainly signifies you as being a senior citizen. I think it helps to always have a few older friends but eventually, you end up being the oldest. 

Outside from that, other things effect perception of being old and that is health, fitness, and general activity levels. I know some people in their 60s that are more active and healthy than some 20 something year olds today. Talk about strange.

Then there is trends. I stopped paying attention to celebrities, mainstream music, and all that stuff a good 10 years ago. I don't even know who most celebrities are if they are under the age of 30. A lot of people would consider be old because of that.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2023 at 3:15 PM, Cosmic said:

I know some people in their 60s that are more active and healthy than some 20 something year olds today

Diet and exercise make that happen and for some that is discovered way too late. I do a lot of walking and bike riding which seems to be more important. It might have something to do with breathing. On the bike, you are not supporting your weight and legs flex more. A lot of bike trails have been added in the last ten years. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, chrysostom said:

Diet and exercise make that happen and for some that is discovered way too late. I do a lot of walking and bike riding which seems to be more important. It might have something to do with breathing. On the bike, you are not supporting your weight and legs flex more. A lot of bike trails have been added in the last ten years. 

I think staying physically active is more important than diet in some cases. I think most teens and young adults are so unhealthy these days because they just were not active as children and it shows. 

• Like 2

On 6/18/2023 at 5:00 AM, chrysostom said:

I agree with this and have seen posts that suggest being physically active is the only important thing. 

I say this because several things in the body require movement to function properly. Bones will brake down if you don't use them. The lymphatic system requires movement to function, it isn't like blood that relies on the heart. We always see older people in bad shape and I think this is because they slow down their movements too much. 

91 and moves better than I do! -->

• Like 1