Do you think history repeats or rhymes? (or neither?)

YellowDragon

I see so many similarities throughout human history it is hard to ignore. The same mistakes or conquests happening over and over again but not entirely the same or in the exact same place, many instances happening in similar fashion centuries apart half way round the world. Is this human nature or something more? 

I think the problem with humanity is not learning from the past more than anything.

If we are unable to learn from past mistakes in our day to day lives, we are doomed to repeat them. I think the same can be said with history but it changes over time so it doesn't actually repeat/rhyme but the same mistakes happen again and again such as with communism being tried over and over again.

13 hours ago, chrysostom said:

I was discussing with someone about how important history was when teaching religion and she said the opposite was more true. 

I guess this depends on how you look at things. I mean to me, the past and the present are one in the same thing in many regards because our future relies on both and as a collective, destroying history or rewriting it never did us any favors. 

History has a lot of life lessons in it that we should learn from both as leaders and every day people beneath said leaders. I think every so many years, somewhere in the world an evil person rises to power and it never ends well for him or his people. 

• Like 1

On 12/2/2023 at 3:28 AM, chrysostom said:

We need to pay attention to history. 

Well the good news is that gen Z is going to be heavily conservative. Something like 55% of them are already preppers. Many don't find enjoyment in drinking and partying. Few want casual sex. It seems like the only ones that do this are the "progressives" which aren't going to have kids anyways. 

Edited by JRexx
  • Like 1

On 12/7/2023 at 8:21 AM, chrysostom said:

I take it you are gen Z. Us older folks might be interested in how you feel about your education. Did you get enough history?

I am considered a millennial but never connected with them. I have more of a gen x outlook. I am very much anti-government. A lot of millenials are for government help and handouts cause they never grew up. We have adult children walking around.