Is learning poker hard?

Cosmic

So I have never played but a few friends play. They decided they wanted to do a twice monthly get together where we play poker, eat, and just have fun. I think it is good cause summer is basically here and it gives everyone a chance to be social and have some fun. I want to be a part of it but I never played and I don't know how hard it is actually to learn. 

4 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

So I have never played but a few friends play. They decided they wanted to do a twice monthly get together where we play poker, eat, and just have fun. I think it is good cause summer is basically here and it gives everyone a chance to be social and have some fun. I want to be a part of it but I never played and I don't know how hard it is actually to learn. 

I am a big MASH fan and they play a lot of Poker, but they play for stakes, so it depends on whether they play for money or pretzels?

• Like 1

1623292405_350x50-AMAZON-BANNER-MUSIC.png.ee69795a634536c465d472debd417aff.png

Many years ago I came into a poker game with a five dollar bill and left with about six dollars in change so the guy who lost all his money blamed me and not the guy who had my five dollar bill. It was not a good experience. I always enjoyed bridge but had to quit to save the marriage. She took it way too seriously. We now play Sequence and she wins most of the time. 

• Like 1

Is it general poker? Like playing a bunch of different games and taking turns as dealer or are you guys playing one set game, like Texas Hold'em in a tournament style way? Poker in and of itself is easy to understand because you just have to memorize which hands beat what and do basic math but getting good at it takes practice. You need to learn odds, tells, and how to bluff. 

• Like 1

They will be playing for change. I think quarters, dimes, and nickels. So it won't be anything major but it sounds fun. 

I am just not sure how hard it will be to learn. They play different games. I think the guy that is hosting said it will be dealer's choice each time.